The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme is a rigorous pre-university course of studies that meets the needs of highly motivated high school students in their Junior and Senior years. The IB curriculum focuses on high academic standards, international understanding and citizenship, and second language proficiency.
IB is a comprehensive two-year curriculum that requires diploma candidates to complete at least one course in six academic areas: Language A1 (native language), Language B (foreign language), Experimental Sciences (science), the Arts and Electives (art, music, and theatre arts), Mathematics (math), and Individuals and Societies (social studies). In addition to the six academic courses, students are expected to complete three other requirements in order to receive an IB Diploma.
- Emphasizes critical thinking, intercultural understanding, and exposure to a variety of points of view
- Coursework in six different subject areas that reflect a blend of breadth and specialization
- Independent research paper on topic of special interest
- Theory of Knowledge philosophy course
- 150 hours of community service
- Provides a total K-12 program
- Nurtures students’ awareness of their membership in a global community
- Enrolls students in an international community of scholars
- Provides student-centered inquiry and instruction
- Provides a learning partnership with professionally trained IB teachers
- Provides students with skills and attitudes which encourage lifelong learning
- Encourages creativity and critical thinking at all levels
- 2016 Total Scholarship offers for IB Seniors (18 seniors): $1,150,000
- 2017 Total Scholarship offers for IB Seniors: $1,900,000+ in scholarship
2018-2019 IB Information Meetings
- Current LHS 10th Graders: January 23, 2018 at 6:30pm in the Little Theatre – invitation letters will be sent out to students.
- Current LHS 9th Graders: January 24, 2018 at 6:30pm in the Little Theatre – invitation letters will be sent out to students.
- District-wide meeting: January 25, 2018 at 6:30pm in the Little Theatre
- Smaller group meetings will be held at each high school in Lexington County School District 1 in the month of February (dates TBD)